Dangote warns of fuel scarcity after PENGASSAN’s ‘lawless’ crude supply cut directive

Our reporter/ The management of Dangote Petroleum Refinery has slammed the directive by the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) ordering its members to halt gas and crude supplies to the 650,000 barrels-per-day plant as criminal and reckless.

In a statement on Saturday, Dangote said the directive, if enforced, would amount to economic sabotage against Nigeria, as it would drastically affect operations at the facility.

“This is a brazen, shocking display of lawlessness and criminality by PENGASSAN,” the management said.

“Absolutely no law gives the union the right to cut off gas and crude oil supplies to Dangote Refinery or disrupt the performance of valid contracts.”

PENGASSAN had earlier directed all its branches, including TotalEnergies E&P, Seplat, Renaissance, Chevron, Oando, Shell Nigeria Gas, and the Nigerian Gas Infrastructure Company, to shut crude supply valves to the Lekki-based refinery and cut gas flows effective immediately.

See also  Alleged Sexual Assault: TikToker Mirabel in ICU, investigations ongoing - Police

The association also ordered its branch chairmen to stop loading operations of vessels headed for the refinery and report progress on the implementation of the directive amid loggerheads with the company over the recent sacking of over 800 workers.

However, Dangote management stated that the union has no legal authority to interfere with existing supply contracts between the refinery and third-party vendors, insisting that Nigeria remains a country governed by laws.

“The refinery is a strategic national asset and one of the largest contributors to government revenue. The attempt by PENGASSAN to sabotage its operations is a disincentive to investors and a national embarrassment,” the company noted.

Warning that the directive could result in fuel scarcity and other forms of hardship, Dangote added, “No Nigerian household is insulated from the effects of this reckless directive. The repercussions will be grave, affecting every home, every business, and the aviation industry. This is a fight for all Nigerians.

See also  Nigeria's debt to World bank climbs to $18.7bn under Tinubu

“In what circumstance would it be justified for PENGASSAN to so disrupt and introduce hardship into the living conditions of Nigerians? None that we can see.”

While urging PENGASSAN to submit to amicable and legal resolution and not resort to actions that could disrupt the economy, the company called on the federal government and agencies to intervene swiftly.

“We call on the federal government and security agencies to act swiftly. Nigerians should take note of the hardship that PENGASSAN wishes to inflict on all of us if not checked. Fuel queues, energy shortages, and price hikes could quickly resurface,” it warned.

 

 

 

Leave a Reply