Gunmen abduct pupils from Niger Catholic school in fresh attack

An unknown number of pupils have been abducted by armed men from St. Mary’s Primary and Secondary School, Papiri, Niger State, the second school kidnapping in less than a week.

The latest attack targeted the missionary School, where authorities had already ordered the temporary closure of all boarding schools due to rising security threats.

Details remain unclear but residents fear that close to 100 students and staff may have been taken away during the early-morning raid.

Nigeria has faced a renewed wave of attacks by armed groups in recent days, including the kidnapping on Monday of 25 schoolgirls from a boarding school in nearby Kebbi state.

Police said armed men – locally known as bandits – stormed St Mary’s School on Friday at about 02:00 local time (01:00 GMT) and abducted an unconfirmed number of students from their hostel.

See also  SSS to arraign El-Rufai on Wednesday for cybercrime, national security breach

“The exact number of abducted pupils is yet to be confirmed as security agencies continue to assess the situation,” Niger state authorities said in a statement.

Fear and uncertainty have gripped the area as families wait for news.

A source in Agwara who confirmed the incident said, “Yes, it happened between 3 and 4 a.m. The number of students abducted is not yet confirmed.”

Another source claimed that some teachers were also forcibly taken away during the attack.

“In the middle of the night, our community was shaken by a deeply tragic event. Bandits invaded St. Mary’s Primary and Secondary School, Papiri, Agwara LGA, Niger State. A Catholic private boarding school for boys and girls.
“Students and teachers were forcefully taken away during the attack.

See also  PENGASSAN faults executive order on oil revenue, says Tinubu ill-advised

“This is an extremely distressing moment for families, the communities, and Niger State as a whole. These are innocent young students and dedicated educators whose lives and futures are now at risk. Their safety must be a priority,” the source said.

The surge in attacks has underscored the deepening insecurity in the West African nation and prompted President Bola Tinubu to postpone planned foreign trips.

 

Leave a Reply