Gen Musa confirms he was marked for elimination by coup plotters, plans to join APC

The Minister of Defence, General Christopher Musa, says he was one of the targets of a coup plot and was meant to be shot by the orchestrators.

General Musa spoke on Channels Television’s Sunday Politics, days after the military said about sixteen officers arrested last October will face trial over an attempt to overthrow President Bola Tinubu.

“I was also a target, I am sure you know,” the minister, who is the immediate past Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), said on the show.

“I was supposed to be arrested, and if I refused, I was supposed to be shot,” the Kaduna-born disclosed.

In October, the military arrested “sixteen officers over acts of indiscipline and breaches of service regulations”.

But last week, authorities said “findings have identified a number of the officers with allegations of plotting to overthrow the government, which is inconsistent with the ethics, values, and professional standards required of members of the AFN.”

See also  Owo Church Attack: DSS witness narrates how forensic analysis implicated suspected attackers

“Accordingly, those with cases to answer will be formally arraigned before an appropriate military judicial panel to face trial in accordance with the Armed Forces Act and other applicable service regulations,” the Director, Major General, Samaila Uba, said in a statement.

Several top government officials and other prominent leaders were allegedly pencilled to be killed in the coup attempt.

I think I will be an APC member

General Christopher Musa (retd.), also indicated that he may formally join the All Progressives Congress (APC), saying he is currently “in transition” politically.

Asked whether he now considers himself a politician, the minister replied, “I’ve not transited yet. I’m in transition.”

When further questioned on his membership of the ruling party, he said, “Not yet, but I think I’ll be. Definitely. The APC has given me the platform to present myself right from when I was CDS till date, so why not?”

See also  Alleged Sexual Assault: TikToker Mirabel in ICU, investigations ongoing - Police

The 58-year-old minister added that President Bola Tinubu deserved full backing, stressing his readiness to support the administration in every possible way.

“Mr President needs all support, totally. I’ll give him all my support, whatever I can do to make sure that he succeeds in his call of duty, including moving forward to the second term. I think I’d give him my very best,” he stated.

General Musa previously held office as the 18th Chief of Defence Staff from June 23, 2023, until his retirement on October 30, 2025. He was sworn in on December 4, 2025.

With Channels Television report

 

Leave a Reply