The remaining worshippers abducted during a Sunday attack on churches in the Kurmin Wali community, Kajuru Local Government Area of Kaduna State have reportedly been freed.
The attack occurred when armed men invaded three churches in the community during worship services, firing sporadically to instil fear before abducting worshippers and leading them into the surrounding forests.
No fewer than 177 worshippers were reportedly kidnapped during the coordinated assault. However, about 80 worshippers were said to have escaped while being taken into the bush and later took refuge in neighbouring villages.
Confirming the development on Thursday, the Village Head of Kurmin Wali, Ishaku Dan’azumi, said he received information early Tuesday morning that the abducted worshippers had been released.
“I got the information of their release this morning. They are currently with the government in Kaduna,” he said, adding that he could not provide further details at the moment.
When asked if ransom or motorcycles, allegedly demanded by the bandits, were provided before the release, Dan’azumi said he could not confirm, noting that he was preparing to travel to Kaduna to meet the victims.
The Chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria, Kaduna State chapter, Rev. Ma’aji Caleb, also confirmed the release in on Thursday.
“Glory be to God, my people are out. We hope to connect with them today. This was through our prayers and the efforts of the government,” he said.
Speaking on whether ransom was paid, the CAN chairman said he was not involved in any negotiations, stressing that the most important thing was that the worshippers had regained their freedom.
He also commended the Kaduna State Government, noting that Governor Uba Sani had demonstrated commitment to protecting lives and property in the state.
Meanwhile, a senior police officer, who spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed the release on Wednesday night.
“I can confirm to you that the remaining worshippers have been released, but I cannot confirm the exact number,” the police source said.
A community stakeholder in Kajuru, who also pleaded anonymity for security reasons, said empty buses and motorcycles were sighted late Wednesday night moving into nearby bush areas, allegedly conveying people out.
“I believe those were the motorcycles the bandits earlier demanded, which allegedly went missing during a military operation on their camp,” the source said.
With Punch report


Leave a Reply