Kwara govt working with Woro leaders to identify kidnap victims paraded by terrorists

The Kwara State government, on Saturday, said it is collaborating with the security agencies to ascertain the identities of the kidnapped victims in the footage earlier released by terrorists.

“Government officials and security agencies are carefully analysing the video to establish the identities of the individuals shown,” a statement by the commissioner for information, Bolanle Ojukoju, read.

Terrorists had earlier paraded scores of residents kidnapped in the Woro and Nuku communities, where over 200 people were massacred. In the video, the attackers accused the Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq-led government of lying about the real figures of the abductees.

However, the government acknowledged the anxiety the footage might have caused, adding that the exact figure of the kidnapped victims has not been ascertained.

See also  Gunmen abduct, kill traditional ruler in Ondo

“Since the incident, there have been varying accounts regarding the number of persons abducted. For this reason, neither the state government nor security agencies have announced a definitive figure.

“Our priority remains the safe rescue of every affected citizen and ensuring that those responsible are brought to justice,” she explained.

The government further confirmed its engagement with the affected communities, saying a few persons had been preliminarily identified from the video as residents of Woro.

“We have engaged Woro community leaders to assist in identifying individuals seen in the footage. As of now, a few persons have been preliminarily identified from the video as residents of Woro.

“Community representatives have also indicated that more individuals remain unaccounted for. It is important to note that some persons initially reported missing have since reunited with their families, while others may have temporarily relocated to neighbouring communities, including Wawa and New Bussa in Niger State.

See also  Nuhu Ribadu accused of unlawfully detaining woman for months over recording alleged ‘romantic video call’ with Tinubu - Report

“The government’s response committee, led by His Highness Ahmed Ibn Muhammed, continues to work with security agencies, local authorities, and community stakeholders to coordinate efforts, humanitarian support, and the safe return of displaced persons,” the statement said.

While sympathising with affected families, the government urged residents to remain calm, assuring “the public that verified updates will be provided as more information becomes available through proper coordination with security and community leaders.”

Leave a Reply