Resident doctors commence nationwide strike

Ebun Francis || Resident doctors across in the country commenced a nationwide indefinite strike, Monday.

The doctors had earlier given notice of the strike to the federal government but the minister of labour, Dr Chris Ngige on Saturday said the doctors had agreed to call off the strike, a claim the doctors refuted.

At the end of its National leadership meeting which ended in the early hours of Monday, the doctors resolved to press ahead with the strike.

In a brief statement obtained by Vanguard Newspapers, the President of the National Association of Resident Doctors, NARD, Onyebueze John, said, “Rising from our NEC meeting, which started at 7 pm yesterday and ended 3 am today. NARD has resolved to reject the promissory offer from Government, and proceed on total and indefinite strike action until all items in her demand list for strike action are resolved by Government.”

The strike action is expected to paralyse health care in public secondary and tertiary hostpitals in the country, particularly the teaching hospitals.