Governor Alex Otti says enrolment in public primary and secondary schools in the state has increased by more than 100 per cent, from about 117,000 to over 300,000 within one year.
Mr Otti disclosed this during his monthly media parley with newsmen at the Government House, Umuahia, on Thursday night.
He attributed the growth to reforms by his administration that were aimed at making education accessible and affordable.
“We will continue with our push to make education available and affordable to every Nigerian living here.
“The positive results coming out from the Ministry of Basic and Secondary Education show that enrolment has moved from about 117,000 people a year ago, to over 300,000 as at the end of last month.
“That is exactly the kind of result we expect. It is good news,” the governor said.
He further said that the government had intensified reconstruction and renovation work at Abia State University, Uturu; Abia State College of Education (Technical), Arochukwu; Ogbonnaya Onu Polytechnic, Aba; and other state-owned tertiary institutions.
Mr Otti said that hostels, offices, and academic facilities were being renovated and rebuilt at the institutions, with construction ongoing at both the temporary and permanent sites of the Ogbonnaya Onu Polytechnic, Aba, and Osisioma, respectively.
According to him, some renovated hostels at ABSU are already in use.
He also said that the ongoing recruitment of 4,000 additional teachers by the government formed part of its efforts to strengthen the education sector.
(NAN)


Leave a Reply