Africa records fresh case of Coronavirus

Africa has recorded a fresh case of the deadly Coronavirus, this time in Algeria.

The development came a week after the continent breathed a sigh of relief following the recovery of a man who was placed in isolation at an Egyptian hospital as tested negative to the disease.

But on Tuesday Algerian authorities announced that an Italian citizen who arrived in the country on February 17 tested positive to the disease.

“One case was confirmed positive for coronavirus (COVID-19), out of two suspected cases (both) of Italian nationality,” the North African country’s health ministry said in a broadcast.

The victim’s identity was not stated and the hospital where he is currently being treated was not made public.

See also  Owo Church Attack: DSS witness narrates how forensic analysis implicated suspected attackers

The virus, which broke out in Wuhan, China, has now infected more than 80,000 globally, and killed at least 2,700.

Earlier on Tuesday, Iraj Harirchi, Iran’s deputy health minister, announced that he had contracted the disease.

Harirchi, who has spearheaded Iran’s efforts to contain the virus, said he would begin treatment immediately.

“I wanted to tell you that I got corona. I had a fever yesterday. The tests came back positive last night. I isolated myself. Just a few moments ago, I was told that the final test came,” Harirchi had said in a video which aired from his house.

“I’ll start taking medicine. Generally, I feel fine. I just felt a bit tired, I had a fever, and it will drop.”

See also  Alleged Sexual Assault: TikToker Mirabel in ICU, investigations ongoing - Police

With agency report

Leave a Reply