Chidi Samuel| Amid reports that some countries have suspended the use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, the federal government on Thursday assured Nigerians that there is no cause for alarm regarding the batch of the vaccine delivered to the country recently.
Eight European countries that include Denmark, Norway, Italy, Iceland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, and Luxembourg have stopped using Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine as a precaution to blood clot incidents in some countries.
But the National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA) which gave the assurance in a statement by its Head of Public Relations Unit, Mohammad Ohitoto, noted the precautionary concerns raised regarding a specific batch of the AstraZeneca vaccine – namely ABV5300.
The agency stated that investigations were being conducted to determine if the batch was in any way linked to an observed side effect.
It further insisted that Nigeria did not receive any dose from the batch of vaccines in contention, adding that all side effects reported so far in Nigeria had been mild.
According to the health agency, the government is monitoring the developments regarding the ‘ABV5300 batch’ of the vaccine and will make the updates public as they become available.
It, therefore, appealed to those categorised among the set of people to be prioritised in the current phase of vaccination exercise to come forth and get vaccinated.
Norway’s health authorities said Thursday they were suspending the use of AstraZeneca’s Covid-19 vaccine as a precaution following Denmark’s decision to do so over fears of a link to blood clots.
“We are pausing the AstraZeneca vaccination in Norway,” the director of infection prevention and control at the National Institute of Health, Geir Bukholm, told reporters.
“We are waiting for more information to see if there is a link between the vaccine and this blood clot case,” he said.
Italy’s medicines regulator on Thursday also banned the use of a batch of AstraZeneca/Oxford coronavirus vaccine as a precaution, after fears of a link to blood clots sparked suspensions across Europe.
But the regulator said there was currently no established link between the vaccine and the alleged side-effects — a position reinforced by Italian Prime Minister Mario Draghi’s office.
Draghi’s spokesman said that in a phone call with European Commission chief Ursula Von Der Leyen, “it emerged that there is no evidence of a link between the cases of thrombosis in Europe and the administration of the AstraZeneca vaccine”.
“President Von Der Leyen reported that the European Medicines Agency had initiated a further accelerated review.”
The full statement from the National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA) is published below…
Press Statement on Concerns About the Safety of the Oxford/AstraZeneca Vaccine.
We are aware of precautionary concerns that have been raised regarding one specific batch of the AstraZeneca vaccine, namely ABV5300.
We understand that investigations are being conducted to determine if the batch is in any way linked to an observed side effect.
While we await the outcome of the investigations, it is important to clearly state that Nigeria did not receive any doses from the batch of vaccines that is at issue.
Vaccinations in Nigeria started earlier this month and we have not observed any similar adverse reactions. All side effects reported by those who have been administered the vaccine have been mild.
We are satisfied that the clinical evidence indicates the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine to be safe and effective. Our assessment is in line with countries such as Spain and the UK who have indicated that they will continue to administer the vaccine because it remains an important tool to protect against COVID-19.
The safety of vaccines delivered to Nigeria is paramount to the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19.
For this reason, it has enhanced multi-sectoral collaboration among stakeholders and technical entities such as the FMOH, NPHCDA, NAFDAC, WHO, and UNICEF whose cooperation ensures the highest global standards are met for vaccines delivered to Nigeria before they are distributed to Nigerians.
Clear, rigorous protocols are being followed to safeguard the health of Nigerians.
We are continuing to monitor the developments regarding ABV5300 batch and will share further information as it becomes available.
In the meantime, we encourage Nigerians who are among those being prioritized in the current phase to continue their confidence and enthusiasm for our vitally important national vaccine program. Together, we can save lives.
Signed:
Mohammad Ohitoto
Head, Public Relations Unit.


Leave a Reply