At least six persons have been killed and twenty three others left unconscious by generator fumes in Mbaitoli Local Government Area of Imo State.
The incident happened at a house in Umuomumu-Mbieri community.
A community leader in the town told newsmen that the wedding guests from Anambra State decided to pass the night at their in-law’s house after the ceremony.
But in a twist of fate, the generator set that was used for traditional marriage in the compound earlier in the day was for some strange reasons moved into one of the rooms all through the night.
It was the fume from the generator that killed the six individuals and left 23 other critically ill and currently unconscious at Ikeduru general hospital.
Imo state police commissioner, Rabiu Ladodo, who confirmed the incident said, “the generator was on in the kitchen while the doors and widows of the rooms the guests slept were locked.”
“It is a case of sudden and natural death but we have commenced an investigation. Assistance is being rendered to the survivors.”
The state police public relations officer, Orlando Ikeokwu while also confirming the incident, said that 23 other people who are unconscious at the moment have been rushed to a nearby hospital.
According to him, the victims affected were guests who attended a traditional marriage ceremony in the community.