Army lifts suspension on UNICEF operations in N-East

Ebun Francis

The Nigerian army said on Friday night said it has lifted the suspension placed on the activities of UNICEF in the north-east.

In a statement by Onyema Nwachukwu, deputy director public relations of the army, the army said the decision followed “intervention by well-meaning Nigerians”.

According to the statement, the military had met with representatives of the humanitarian agency and ironed out some issues.

“Sequel to intervention by well-meaning and concerned Nigerians over the recent suspension of UNICEF operations in the North East theatre of operations, the Theatre Command Operation LAFIYA DOLE convened and held an emergency meeting with representatives of UNICEF this evening,” the statement read.

“During the meeting, the Theatre Command admonished the representatives of the organization to desist from activities inimical to Nigeria’s national security and capable of undermining ongoing fight against terrorism and insurgency. The Command also urged UNICEF representatives to ensure they share information with relevant authorities whenever induction or training of new staff is being conducted in the theatre.

See also  SSS to arraign El-Rufai on Wednesday for cybercrime, national security breach

“Consequently, after extensive deliberations on the need to seek modalities to work harmoniously with the security agencies in the theatre of operation, the Theatre Command has henceforth lifted the three months suspension earlier imposed on UNICEF activities in North Eastern Nigeria.”

Earlier on Friday while announcing the suspension of UNICEF activities in north east Nigeria, the military accused the body of sabotaging the fight against insurgency.