Ebun Francis| Femi Fani-Kayode, former spokesman of the Goodluck/Sambo presidential organisation, on Friday after days of grandstanding, finally apologised to Eyo Charles, a Daily Trust reporter, he insulted at a press conference in Calabar earlier in the week.
The former aviation minister, had at a press conference in Calabar, Cross River capital, insulted Charles for daring to aske him if anyone was bankrolling his trip.
Responding, Fani-Kayode described Charles as “very stupid”.
“I could see from your face before you got here, how stupid you are. Don’t ever talk to me like that. Who do you think you’re talking to. Bankroll who? You think I am one of those ones you… from who, when, how? You have a small mind, a very small mind,” he had said.
The outburst by Fni-Kayode was widely condemned by NUJ and Nigerians, especially on social media, with some chapters of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) boycotting his activities but the outspoken politician refused to Charles.
But at a press conference at government house, Uyo, capital of Akwa Ibom, on Friday, Fani-Kayode said he disappointed himself and everyone.
He said, “I’m deeply sorry for the manner I reacted to the said reporter. I was too hard on him. The question was mischievous, but I fell for it.”
“I should have been smarter than that. I am using this opportunity to reach out to him, and I hope he will be kind enough to forgive me. I disappointed myself, my family and friends, my colleagues and even my bosses, those who hold me in high esteem.
“I have regrets, it was not my finest day. No leader or public figure should ever react like that. I disappointed myself. I deeply regret it and I believe it will never happen again.”


Leave a Reply