A Briton, Andrew Wynne, who was on Monday declared wanted by the Nigeria Police Force for allegedly plotting to overthrow a democratically elected government of President Bola Tinubu, has responded to the allegation against him.
In an interview with Channels Television on Monday night, the Briton, who denied any wrongdoing, said that he is not on the run and is more than ready to speak to the Nigerian authorities.
“I am not aware that I am a fugitive, I am not aware that I am running away from the law, I have been visiting Nigeria for 25 years. I have had a bookshop at the NLC offices right at the centre of Abuja for seven years and all that time, of course the security forces have paid no interest in me.
“I only have one nationality and the name on my passport is Andrew Wynne with a nickname. I am more than happy to talk with the police, I am more than happy to have a discussion on WhatsApp or Zoom, I am more than happy to go to London and meet with officials from the Nigerian High Commission. If they want to start a conversation then I think that is more than adequate,” Wynne said.
The Nigerian wife of the Briton also told Channels Television that her husband is being accused falsely.
The wife said that the reason for her husband’s ordeal is far from the allegation of toppling the government being levelled against him by the police.
She accused a Nigerian, whom she said is owing her husband, of looking for ways to throw Wynne out of the country to avoid paying his debt.
“We have been together for nine years, eight years of friendship before we finally got married last year. My husband is falsely accused, he has never been a terrorist. He is being accused because one Mr Olumide is owing him and not ready to pay him,” she said.
“The case is in court even now. So, he is just doing anything he can to intimidate and throw him out of the country, He is in UK because he came in and at the expiring date of his going back, he had to go back. If not for all these, he is supposed to be back maybe around twenty something of September.”
The Nigeria Police Force through its Force spokesperson, Muyiwa Adejobi, earlier on Monday accused the British national of building a network of sleeper cells to cause chaos and topple the federal government of Nigeria.
With Channels Television report


Leave a Reply