Buhari urges Nigerians to adhere to COVID-10 protocols as economy too fragile for second lockdown

Chidi Samuel| President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday cautioned that the country’s economy is too fragile for fresh COVID-19 lockdown.

The President, has, therefore, appealed to Nigerians to obey all protocols recommended by health authorities to curtail the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Buhari, who made the appeal via his verified Twitter handle, said compliance with COVID-19 protocols by all Nigerians is crucial to avert a second wave of the pandemic.

Buhari said, “Looking at the trends in other countries, we must do all we can to avert a second wave of COVID-19 in Nigeria.

“We must make sure that our cases, which have gone down, do not rise again. Our economy is too fragile to bear another round of lockdown.”

See also  Dangote call for protection of local investors, says naira to hit 1,000 to $1 this year

The President had following the outbreak of the pandemic in the country in February, imposed Buhari imposed a total lockdown on parts of the country including Lagos, Abuja and Ogun in March.

The lockdown lasted for over five weeks and had a tremendous effect on the country’s already fragile economy.

According to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, the country has so far recorded a total of 62,521 confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus with 58, 249 recoveries, and 1,141 deaths.

Leave a Reply