Buhari will accept outcome of 2019 election- Amaechi

Ebun Francis|

The director-general of the reelection campaign of President Muhammadu Buhari and minister of transport, Rotimi Amaechi on Thursday said that the president will accept the outcome of the 2019 elections.

Amaechi who made the pledge when he received a delegation from the European Union (EU), also assured his visitors that the ruling party would adhere strictly to the electoral laws of the country.

He said, “One assurance I will give you today is that we’ll stand by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC and we will stand by whatever decision they make. We believe that we promised Nigerians change and I also believe that you can observe the change.”

“The assurance I will give you from President Buhari Campaign Organisation is that there will be no interference by the president. We’ll play by the rules and whatever the campaign team needs to do to ensure that the election is transparent, we will do. We’ll also ensure that the election is such that Nigerians will be proud of, and we hope that the rest who are contesting in other parties will also take the same position.”

See also  Nigeria's debt to World bank climbs to $18.7bn under Tinubu

“By this time in 2014/2015, when I was still in office as governor, I was on fire. Everybody was on my neck. The then President had withdrawn my security.”

“My ADC and CSO were on the run, there was no police security and nobody cared. They didn’t bother that I could be killed or attacked. I was attacked several times, I was attacked in Port Harcourt. But now, we believe the president that they were accusing that would be undemocratic because he is a retired soldier is more democratic than a civilian that was elected in the past.

“During the Anambra state election, when the governor cried out that his ADC had been withdrawn, President Buhari ordered that the governor’s ADC be reinstated immediately. So you see, that is the change we are talking about.”

See also  Police confirm Lakurawa bandits killed 33 in Kebbi attack

In his remark earlier, head of the EU delegation to Nigeria and ECOWAS, Ketil Karlsen who noted that the EU was only concerned about best electoral practices, said the EU would partner with Nigerians to organise credible polls in 2019.

“We look forward to a good collaboration on this occasion of the 2019 general elections. We have had election observers in Nigeria for all general elections since 1999,” he said.