We cannot confirm there is a coup plot -DHQ

The defence headquarters on Wednesday said that there is no confirmation of a coup plot in the Country.

The clarification from the defence headquarters became necessary following reactions that have trailed the warning last week by that chief of army staff, Lt Gen Tukur Buratai to soldiers to desist from getting into a unwholly alliance with politicians.

The warning seen by many as a sign that some military officers were planning to overthrow the civilian government drew reactions from prominent Nigerians, the civil society, the ruling All Peoples Congress, APC and the British government through its high commissioner in Nigeria.

But speaking with journalists on Wednesday, John Enenche, spokesman of the DHQ, said there was no confirmation that a coup plot was being hatched.

Enenche said the warning issued by the army was a caution to officers to maintain professional conduct.
He said the armed forces remained loyal to President Muhammadu Buhari, and “in complete subordination to civil rule.”
“All fears about a coup should be allayed as the contemporary Nigerian military is abreast with the best international practices in governance, which is a democracy,” he said.

“It is pertinent to state that if there are signs of actions that point to likely breaches of military code of conduct as it were, professionally, it is a command responsibility to caution officers and men on routine basis to conform to ethics of the military,” he said.

“Officers and men are cautioned to exercise command and control by appropriate superior authorities through commanders at various levels.

See also  Governor Yusuf orders arrest of deposed Emir of Kano Aminu Ado Bayero

“This is to prevent members of the armed forces from derailing from their core focus of total dedication to their oath of allegiance.

“Cautions or warnings are issued with investigations following.”