By our reporter/ At least four persons have died after a high-rise building collapsed in the Ikoyi area of Lagos on Monday.
Some four persons have also been rescued alive as rescue operations intensified into the night.
More people are believed to still be trapped in the rubble.
The building, which was under construction, collapsed along Gerald Road, Ikoyi, a highbrow area in Lagos.
Officials confirmed that four persons have been rescued and are currently being treated by medical team of the Lagos State General Hospital.
The Coordinator of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Ibrahim Farinloye, said the bodies have been moved to a morgue owned by the state government.

“The deceased bodies were pulled out from under the ruble” he said.
The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) said it was fully on ground with “heavy duty equipment and life detection equipment have been dispatched.”
According to eyewitness accounts, at least 50 persons, including the owner of the building, were trapped under the rubble after the collapse.
More than two hours after the collapse of the building, as of 4.30 p.m., serious rescue operation was yet to begin.
The excavators and other heavy-duty equipment for the operation were yet to arrive at the scene.
Meanwhile, the deputy governor of Lagos State, Obafemi Hamzat, visited the scene around 4:15 p.m.
Several persons at the scene lamented the late arrival of officials and equipment and how it could affect rescue operation.
Trapped under the rubble
Wisdom John, 28, a bricklayer, said he escaped with just a few cuts because he had been on the ground floor when the building collapsed into a pile of concrete, its floors sandwiched together.
“There was more than 50 working today and the manager too,” he said, sitting in an ambulance getting treated. “We just ran out.”
Lagos State police commissioner Hakeem Olusegun Odumosu said it was still too early to determine the cause of the collapse.
“Many workers are trapped under the rubble,” said Femi Oke-Osanyintolu, LASEMA’s General Manager.
Four other construction workers at the site said dozens of their colleagues were inside when the building crumbled.

“Like 40 people were inside, I see 10 bodies because I climbed up,” said Peter Ajagbe, 26, one local worker on the site.
“One of my partners is dead.”
Taiwo Sule, 21, another worker, said he had seen five bodies on top of the collapsed building, where he had tried to help recover them.
Meanwhile, Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu called for calm late on Monday, in a statement signed by his spokesperson, Gbenga Omotoso.
President Muhammadu Buhari also condoled with the families of those who died in the incident.
“President Buhari shares the sad moment with people and Government of Lagos State, urging authorities to step up efforts in rescue operations, while emergency institutions, including hospitals, should provide all the necessary support to safeguard lives of the rescued,” a statement signed by presidential spokesperson Femi Adesina, said.

“The President prays for God’s intervention in the ongoing rescue operations.”
Operation is still ongoing at the scene.


Leave a Reply