COVID-19: The call by Senate for Buhari to address Nigerians ‘cheap and sensational’- Presidency

Yusuf Bello| The Presidency on Thursday described the call by the Senate for president Buhari to address Nigerians over the Coronavirus crisis as ‘populist advocacies’ which are unnecessary at this time.

The upper legislative chamber had on Wednesday asked President Buhari to address the country on the measures taken to address the COVID-19 crisis.

But reacting to the call in a statement, presidential spokesman, said such calls by members of the Senate are cheap and sensational.

According to Shehu, Nigeria, like every other country around the world, is dealing with the unexpected and unprecedented impact of the Covid-19 pandemic and the Muhammadu Buhari administration has taken some steps to mitigate the effects on the Nigerian people.

Shehu pleaded with Nigerians to cooperate with government in the fight, assuring that the Federal Government does not want to create panic, and will continue to update the Nigerian public with relevant information.

He said, “Populist advocacies such as the one accusing the President of “complacency” simply because he has not made a television address by ranking members of our respected parliament are cheap and sensational. These are not the times for populism and cheap politics.”

“We also plead with Nigerians not to see this most peculiar of times as one to be politicised or seen as an opportunity to regurgitate grudges against the government or the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC). North, South, East, and West – all Nigerians must unite to fight this plague, irrespective of religious or ideological affiliation.”

See also  Police confirm Lakurawa bandits killed 33 in Kebbi attack

On the measures put in place by the FG to fight the spread of the virus, Shehu said the President has already ordered the restrictions of travel from 13 countries, each with more than 1,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and that the government has also suspended visas issued to nationals of these countries.

Shehu continued, “The various agencies of government including Media owned by the government have embarked on vigorous campaigns promoting hygiene measures. There are, currently, very stringent regimes of checks at the points of air and sea entry into the country. The effort Nigeria is making as is well known, has already received the commendation of the World Health Organisation (WHO).

“The Presidency wishes to assure Nigerians that government is on top of the situation. There is no cause for panic. So far measures put in place are working efficiently. What this country is doing has been recommended as a template.

See also  SSS to arraign El-Rufai on Wednesday for cybercrime, national security breach

“The President trusts the relevant Ministers in his cabinet and the officials of the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), who are providing him with constant updates and professional counsel. These officials have a track record of competence.

“The President instructed the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) to reduce the pump price of fuel. The COVID-19 pandemic has led to a crash in the global price of crude oil, and the President decided that every Nigerian should benefit from this.

“Subsequently, the NNPC announced a 20 naira deduction, and the pump price of fuel has now been reduced from 145 naira per litre to 125 naira per litre.

“The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) on Monday announced a credit relief of N1.1Trillion Naira to businesses affected by the pandemic. The Bank has also established a facility for household, small and medium enterprises (SMEs) and announced a reduction of interest rates for loans from 9% to 5%,” the spokesman’s communique read in part.

The president thanked all those at the forefront of the fight against the pandemic and pleaded that the high-level Presidential Coordination Committee chaired by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), be allowed to carry out its duties.

Leave a Reply