Covid: Trump ‘no longer a transmission risk to others’

US President Donald Trump is no longer a Covid transmission risk to others, the White House physician has said.

Sean Conley’s memo is the first update on Mr Trump’s health since Thursday.

Earlier on Saturday the president delivered a speech in front of cheering supporters at the White House in his first public appearance since being hospitalised with the virus.

There had been concerns that he might still be contagious following his three-day hospital stay.

The doctor’s memo said the latest tests on the president revealed there was “no longer evidence of actively replicating virus”.

However, it was not clear whether this meant that he had tested negative for Covid-19.

Saturday’s event was officially a “peaceful protest”, but looked, critics said, much like a Trump campaign rally.

See also  PENGASSAN faults executive order on oil revenue, says Tinubu ill-advised

The president, who says he is no longer taking medicines against Covid-19, told the crowd he was “feeling great”.

His rival in next month’s presidential election, Joe Biden, has been campaigning in Pennsylvania. He said his “heart goes out” to all those families who have lost someone they love to coronavirus.

Polling suggests Mr Biden has a single-digit lead over Mr Trump and an ABC News/Ipsos poll found that just 35% of Americans approved of how Mr Trump has handled the coronavirus crisis.

More than 210,000 Americans are known to have died of Covid-19.

With agency report

Leave a Reply