Dokpesi asks AIT, Raypower to pull down controversial comment on COVID-19

By our reporter| Following the criticism that trailed the comments made by him and his first son on their experience with COVID-19 at the Abuja isolation centre, the chairman of DAAR Communications Plc, has asked the African Independent Television (AIT) to stop airing their comment.

Dokpesi who tested positive to the highly contagious virus with some members of his family was discharged from the Gwagwalada isolation centre last week but in letter made public expressed disappointment that he was not given documentary evidence of his COVID-19 status.

He went further in an interview with AIT over the weekend to claim the COVID-19 is synonimous with malaria.

But in a memo dated May 17 and addressed to the chairman (his son), general managing director (GMD), managing director (MD) AIT and other top members of the management team, Dokpesi said he agrees with some senior citizens who suggested that he should have written to the presidential task force on COVID-19 rather than create “doubt in the minds of the public”.

See also  US mission celebrates Nigerian American Dr Wendy Okolo @NASA

Dokpesi said they must not be seen as using the platform to promote a personal agenda.

The memo read, “I write to kindly request you to discontinue referencing the comments and views expressed by both the founder – high chief Engr. A.A Dokpesi, OFR and the chairman – chief Raymond Paul Dokpesi Jnr in all your news bulletins and in fact bring them down from all your official websites for now.”

“Very senior citizens and elders have argued and [i] agree with them that I should have addressed a private letter to the PTF and the presidency rather than cast aspersions on their methods thereby creating doubt in the minds of the public. I also agreed to an immediate truce.

See also  US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's tariffs

“We must never be construed to be using ownership of the platform to promoting our personal agenda or settling some scores with perceived opponents.”

The DAAR communication founder asked the staff to leave the fight for another day but keep all the original recordings.

He continued, “I thank you all for your support and loyalty, but like gallant soldiers, let us leave this fight for another day. Kindly keep all the original footages.”

Dokpesi’s memo is published below…

Leave a Reply