DSS, military contacted bandits to release 38 Kwara church worshippers – Presidency

The presidency on Monday said non-kinetic approach was deployed in securing the release of the 38 worshippers.

Presidential spokesman, Bayo Onanuga who made the disclosure while speaking on ‘Prime Time’, an Arise Television programme, thanked the DSS and the military for the release of the worshippers.

The victims were abducted from the Christ Apostolic Church (CAC) in the Eruku community of Kwara on November 18.

On November 23, Tinubu announced that all the abductees had been released.

Onanuga further added that the gunmen knew that if they did not cooperate, they were going to be “pummelled”.

“After the incident, the DSS and the military were involved in the rescue effort. They got in contact with the bandits to release the captives unharmed,” the president’s spokesperson said.

See also  Nuhu Ribadu accused of unlawfully detaining woman for months over recording alleged ‘romantic video call’ with Tinubu - Report

“On Sunday, they were able to get them out unharmed. They do have a way of tracking these people.

“The security agencies have a way of contacting these people. They (bandits) know the consequences of not acquiescing to government demands. They know they could be pummelled.”

Onanuga added that a kinetic approach would have been counter-productive because terrorists often use abductees as “human shields” which could result in “collateral damage”.

“Attacking their base could be risky because you can kill the civilians,” he added.

The presidential aide also said the military will decide “the next line of action” on the kidnappers.

 

Leave a Reply