EFCC still interrogating Fayose a day after he surrendered to them

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Wednesday said that former Ekiti state governor Ayodele Fayose is still being interrogated at its head office in Abuja.

Wilson Uwujaren, the EFCC spokesman, who confirmed this to News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), said that the ex-governor is still with them as they are still within the range allowed them by law.

Asked why Fayose had not been released after 24 hours, Uwujaren said: “We are still within range. We are not keeping him but interrogating him.”

Fayose voluntarily surrendered to the anti-graft agency on Tuesday over allegations of 4.7 billion fraud.

The former governor who said on arrival the office of EFCC that he was prepared to stay as long as the agency was willing to keep him was accompanied by Nyesom Wike, governor of Rivers state, and Femi Fani-Kayode, former minister of aviation.

See also  Nuhu Ribadu accused of unlawfully detaining woman for months over recording alleged ‘romantic video call’ with Tinubu - Report

On arrival at EFCC office, the former governor, wearing a shirt with the inscription ‘EFCC, I am here’, had said: “I am here in line with my promise that I will be here on the 16th of October.

“And, like I said to EFCC, they should await my arrival. They had been to my house; they cordoned off my street which I feel personally was unnecessary. It is unwarranted.

“I had led Ekiti, and the best I could give, I have given. Therefore, every question, whatever they need to ask, I will be able to respond appropriately.”