Excluding me from APC presidential primary is “recipe for bigger trouble”, says Bello after meeting Buhari

By our reporter| Kogi state governor Yahaya Bello, on Tuesday said he is still in the race for the ruling APC’s presidential contest.

Bello, who made the disclosure shortly after a meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari while speaking with reporters warned that any attempt to exclude him from participating in the presidential primary of the All Progressives Congress (APC) is “recipe for bigger trouble”.

Plateau state governor and chairman of norther governors forum had earlier on Tuesday said the APC governors had recommended five southern candidates for the party’s primary.

However, Bello in reaction to the decision said he will resist any attempt to exclude him from contesting.

He said, “I am a free citizen and a qualified member of the party. I am contesting. I bought the form, was cleared to participate in the primary, and there is no reason for me to be excluded from the ballot. If they do so, then that is a recipe for a bigger trouble for the party.”

See also  Owo Church Attack: DSS witness narrates how forensic analysis implicated suspected attackers

“However, I don’t think it is a decision of the party. It is a decision of a few elites who may decide to use their position to oppress the so-called minority. But I want to prove that in this country, I am not in the minority. I belong to the younger generation and Nigerians that are oppressed and are saying that their voices must be heard.

“I believe strongly that getting into that arena today, I will win overwhelmingly if the process and normal regulations are followed; I will emerge victorious.”

He explained that his meeting with the president was to explain why he did not attend the meeting with northern APC governors on Monday.

“I am a unifier. I have demonstrated that severally in my state and in carrying out various tasks that I was given by the party. So, nobody consulted me over the decision that power be shifted to the south and I would say they were enrolled by a certain interest that wants to be the vice-president at all costs,” he said.

See also  Rivers Assembly halts impeachment proceedings against Fubara, deputy

“And I continue to oppose the issue of turn-by-turn presidency because the insecurity that is facing us today does not respect that. Every part of this country is faced with insecurity and wants prosperity and we want unity in this country, which is what I stand for.

“Who should be able to solve that problem is what should occupy our minds now, not rotational presidency,” he stated.

Leave a Reply