Yusuf Bello/ The federal government on Thursday said it was not considering a lockdown despite rising cases of COVID-19 infections across the country, even as it took delivery of 177,600 doses of the Johnson and Johnson vaccine at the cost of $298.5 million (over N122 billion).
The procurement was to enable the country vaccinate 70 percent of eligible members of the population and combat the spread of the dreaded Coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19).
Minister of health, Osagie Ehanire who made the disclosure while speaking at the weekly ministerial briefing organized at the State House in Abuja, said the number of cases were not threatening enough, yet, for a lockdown to be considered.
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) had on Wednesday confirmed 790 cases of new COVID-19 infections, the highest figure in about six months.
A recent surge in infections has been partly attributed to the Delta variant, which is believed to be more contagious and deadlier.
Nigeria is expected to step up its Covid vaccination program after receiving over four million doses of the Moderna vaccine from the US government last week.
With only about one percent of the population vaccinated, so far, the second phase of the national vaccination programme is expected to kick-off next Monday.
Minister Ehanire also said Nigeria is not only relying on donated vaccines from other entities as it has procured nearly 40 million doses of the Johnson and Johnson vaccine through the African Union with the government taking delivery of 177,600 doses of the Johnson and Johnson vaccine on Thursday.
The single-shot J&J vaccine was acquired through the African Vaccine Acquisition Trust (AVAT), with support from Afrexim bank.
According to the Africa Centre for Disease Control, the vaccines were partly manufactured in Africa.
The vaccines are expected to be deployed in hard-to-reach areas, to eliminate the need for travel for a second dose.
More of the J&J vaccines are expected in the country.


Leave a Reply