Ghana pledges to punish those who attacked Nigerian high commission

By our reporter| The Ghanaian government on Sunday said those involved in the attack on Nigerian high commission in Accra will adequately punished for their involvement in the demolition exercise.

Nigeria’s diplomatic premises was on Friday bulldozed by a businessman who claims he owned the piece of land where the Nigerian High Commission’s staff quarters was erected.

Godfrey Oyeama, Nigeria’s foreign affairs minister while condemning the attack earlier on Sunday asked the Ghanaian government to take precise actions against the perpetrators of the act.

Ghana’s ministry of foreign affairs and regional intervention in response said the incident is being investigated with the aim of bringing perpetrators to book.

According to a statement by the ministry, security has been beefed up at the commission, assuring the Nigerian authorities that “the situation is under control”.

See also  SSS to arraign El-Rufai on Wednesday for cybercrime, national security breach

The statement read, “It has come to the attention of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration that unidentified individuals had allegedly breached the premises of the Nigeria High Commission in Accra and demolished its property under construction around 10:30pm on Friday, 19th June, 2020.”

“The Ministry views, with concern, this development which is a breach of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations (VCDR. 1961).

“Accordingly, investigations are ongoing to unravel the facts of the matter and bring the perpetrators to book. Meanwhile, the Government of Ghana has beefed up security at the said facility and the situation is under control.

“Whilst expressing regrets over the incident, the Ministry wishes to reassure the Diplomatic community in Ghana and the Nigeria High Commission in particular, that Ghana remains a Iaw-abiding country that upholds the principle of the rule of law, where due process is followed at all times. The Government will, therefore, not relent on its primary obligation to guarantee the safety of Members of the Diplomatic Corps in Ghana.”

Leave a Reply