Chidi Samuel| Ebonyi State governor, David Umahi on Sunday said indications have emerged that showed herders conspired with the Fulani criminal elements who attacked some communities in the state recently.
Not less than 15 people were killed during the attacks by suspected Fulani gunmen in Ishielu LGA of Ebonyi last week.
Umahi who made the disclosure when Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo visited the state on Sunday, said the herders “deserted” the affected communities before the attacks started.
According to the governor, the federal government may be unable to hold back the youths of the state in the event of a repeat attack.
He also announced the activation of local vigilantes to provide internal security in parts of the state.
Umahi said, “Your excellency, we are touched and we are encouraged by this visit, I’m told the murderers left a telephone which contains their contacts, their call logs, and pictures.”
“Your excellency, these things are enough to get these people apprehended, very shocking is that at the point of the attack, all the herdsmen living in Ishielu local government all deserted.
“This means that they were part of the attack on our people despite the governors of the south-east being called names because we are committed to giving them protection.
“It is very important we do anything possible to forestall further attacks not only in Ebonyi state but in the entire south-east.”
In his response, Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo assured the people of the state that the federal government will ensure that they get justice over the recent killings and urged the people not to take justice into their hands because “nobody knows where it will end”.
“You have done the right thing by peacefully presenting the case to the authority; it is up to the government to seek justice,” he said.
“I want to say that it is a very deeply distressing development and I sympathise not just with the governor and the people of Ebonyi state but in particular the people of the community that have been affected.
“This whole community, a community that has lived with the (so-called) assailants for many years, what we have seen here is very cowardly and it must not be allowed in our country. It must not be allowed.
“What we must do to ensure this kind of thing does not repeat itself is to beef up security, that is very important.
The vice-president promised that the incident would never repeat itself as plans are on to beef up the security within the state.
“Already, we are in conversation with the GOC, with the army about ensuring that there is more security around here. Of course, I am aware that the GOC has already made some provisions but obviously, there is a need for even more greater security,” he said.


Leave a Reply