How I killed another woman after escaping from police custody- Oyo serial killer

Ebun Francis| Suspected Oyo state serial killer, Sunday Shodipe on Wednesday revealed how he escaped from police custody and went back into society to yet kill another woman.

The nineteen-year-old suspect made the revelation when he was paraded along with other criminal suspects at the Police Command Headquarters Ibadan, along other criminal suspects including the robbery gang believed to have perpetrated the bank heist in the Okeho area of Ibadan.

The suspect who spoke in Yoruba to reporters, said he went back to Akinyele Local Government Area, where he perpetuated earlier killings, to kill another woman on the instruction of his handler.

Shodipe said, “My escape from police custody was masterminded by my handler, a herbalist known as Idris Adedokun. When we were together in the cell, he called one of the police officers – one Inspector Funsho to allow us take a bath.

“Inspector Funsho did not allow us, but after three days, my handler assured me that he had everything under control and that I would soon be able to take my bath and run more errands for him.

“He later told Inspector Funsho that he needed dry gin as a herbalist for his personal use but he was denied access to such luxury in detention. My handler’s lawyer came to the police station in Mokola and took N200,000 from him to hold brief for him.”

See also  DMO: Nigeria’s public debt stock rose by N900bn to N153trn in Q3 2025

“My handler told me that my confession landed us in trouble, that I should not have confessed. After my escape, I went back to Akinyele on my handler’s instructions and matchetted another woman but she did not die in the process.

“While on the run, I usually go to Bodija market with caps to hide my identity because I knew I was wanted by the police. I do not know those who captured me but I suspected when they asked for my help to push their car but I didn’t run.

“I was not at rest because I knew the police were after me. I was caught along Bodija but I live in Moniya.”

The Commissioner of Police in Oyo, Chucks Enwonwu, who paraded Shodipe and others, confirmed the killing of another person by the suspect.

He identified the victim as one Mrs Oladeji Funmilayo who did not die during the attack but lost the struggle at the University College Hospital (UCH) in Ibadan where she was declared dead.

See also  SSS to arraign El-Rufai on Wednesday for cybercrime, national security breach

“Without mincing words, all police tactical teams, including the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, Anti-Kidnapping Squad, Swift Response Squad, Federal and Safer Highway patrol teams… have been working assiduously to keep crimes and criminality in the state to the barest minimum and also make the good citizens of Oyo State sleep with both eyes closed,” Enwonwu said.

“Consequently, this has yielded positive results and some criminal elements, including those arrested at the robbery incident of July 28 at a first generation bank in Okeho, the arrest of the prime suspect in the serial killings of Akinyele Local Government Area, Moniya Ibadan – Sunday Shodipe a 19-year-old who escaped from lawful custody in August 11, 2020 but rearrested on August 23 at Bodija area of Ibadan.

“The escape has generated many ripples considering the circumstances behind his escape.”

The police boss further disclosed that the command had already handed over the N500,000 bounty money provided by the Oyo State government for the rearrest of Shodipe to those who facilitated his arrest.

Leave a Reply