I left N13bn in Sokoto State Government’s treasury – Bafarawa

A frontline presidential aspirant of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Attahiru Bafarawa, said he left N13 billion in the Sokoto State Government’s treasury after his tenure as governor.

Bafarawa disclosed this in Owerri on Thursday at the PDP party state secretariat during a visit to party stakeholders to solicit support for his presidential ambition.

The former governor said during his eight years in office he did not receive any salary, but rather he used the money to develop the state.

The presidential contender said his victory over the criminal charges against him by the Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC) showed that he was a politician with a clean record.

He said his ambition for the presidential position was borne out of his zeal to revive the country’s economy for the benefit of all citizens.

“I have experience and the most qualified to preside over the present Nigeria and as a good manager I will correct all the anomalies.

“PDP delegates should not make any mistake during the party’s primaries by electing inexperienced aspirants for this job, that is why I have come to present myself to you,” he said.

In his reaction, a PDP Board of Trustee member, Chief Emmanuel Iwuanyawu, described Bafarawa as a `true democrat and detribalised politician’.

See also  Alleged Sexual Assault: TikToker Mirabel in ICU, investigations ongoing - Police

He said Bafarawa had a very strong political track record which stood him out among other aspirants.

Iwuanyawu, who expressed optimism that South-East would not be marginalised under Bafarawa, pointed out that most of his close allies were Igbos.

PDP Chairman in Imo, Mr Babatunde Ezekwe, assured Bafarawa of the state delegates’ support.

“We are strongly behind your aspiration, go and do your underground work well; as for us we are working tirelessly to ensure that PDP wins in Imo and the presidency,” he said.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Bafarawa has been on tour of the South East states of Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu and Imo. (NAN)

Man defrauds job-seeking neighbour N237,000

Twenty-year-old Joshua Toryila, who allegedly defrauded his job-seeking neighbour of N237,000 under the pretence of getting him recruited into the Nigerian Army, was on Thursday  brought before a Tinubu Chief Magistrates’ Court, Lagos.

The accused is facing a three-count charge of conspiracy, fraud and theft.

He, however, denied the charges.

The prosecutor, Sgt. Hafsat Ajibode, told the court that the accused committed the offences between February and April, at Royal Garden Estate, Ajah, Lagos.

See also  ICPC confirm El-Rufai is in their custody

She said that the accused conspired with his brother, Thomas Andrew, now at large, to defraud his job-seeking neighbour, Edet Bassey-Okon, of N237,000, on the pretext of helping him to get recruited into the Nigerian Army.

The prosecutor said that the accused told Bassey-Okon that his brother was a high-ranking officer in the Nigerian Army, and could help him to get a job there.

“Bassey-Okon was told to pay N237,000 into Andrew’s account, and was directed to go to Army Training Base in Zaria; it was when he got there that he discovered that the two had defrauded him.

“The accused absconded since then; the complainant saw him a week ago and got him arrested,” she said.

The offences contravened Sections 287 (5), 314 (1) and 411 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015 (Revised).

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Section 287 carries three years imprisonment; Section 314 stipulates 15 years imprisonment; while Section 411 prescribes two years imprisonment  for offenders.

 Chief Magistrate Tajudeen Elias granted the accused a N200,000 bail, with one surety in like sum.

 He adjourned the case until Sept.14, for further hearing. (NAN)