Ebun Francis| Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on Monday called on the leadership of the ruling All Progressives Congress to honour the ‘informal agreement’ for return of power to the southern part of the country in 2023.
The outspoken governor of Kaduna state stated this while speaking on Channels Television programme, Politics Today programme on Monday night.
He said, “I think it is important to make this clarification. Personally, I am against zoning because I believe that no country has made progress choosing leaders based on where they come from or their ethnicity or religion. I am against and I don’t practise it. I work with people from every part of the country. I don’t care about their religion or ethnicity; I just want to get things done with the most competent persons with capacity and commitment. That’s a personal position.
“However, I believe that as a party, after eight years of President Buhari, we should honour the informal agreement of ensuring that power goes to the South, whether it is South-West or South-East, that is a different matter.
“We have agreed, we have a gentleman’s agreement that power will go to the South and I support that. In as much as I don’t think we should select leaders that way but in the present day Nigeria, that is an interim measure to pursue. But having said that, our party has not taken any decision as far as I know.”
Ahead of the 2023 presidential election, leaders from the southern part of the country in the ruling APC, have in recent months called for power be zone.
Only last week, Babatunde Fashola, Nigeria’s minister for works asked the APC to honour its agreement on zoning.


Leave a Reply