By our reporter|The Department of State Services (DSS) on Sunday said members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) killed two of its operatives in Enugu state.
The proscribed separatist movement earlier on Sunday had clashed a team of security operatives at Emene in Enugu.
The violent clash led to the deployment of a team of security operatives, with many feared dead in the aftermath.
In a statement, Peter Afunanya, DSS spokesman, said two DSS operatives died in an “unprovoked attack” launched on the service patrol team by IPOB members.
“The Service lost two personnel in what was clearly an unprovoked violent attack launched by IPOB on the team. The Service hereby condoles with families of the departed officers and also prays for the repose of their souls,” the statement read.
He added that all measures have been put in place to ensure that “their killers and everyone involved in this dastardly act are promptly apprehended and brought to justice.”
“Consequently, a full-scale investigation will be carried out with regard to the incident,” he said.
“Once again, the Service reaffirms its commitment to assiduously work with other security agencies to maintain public safety and order.”
IPOB: “We lost 21 members”
However, in a separate statement by its spokesperson, Emma Powerful, IPOB said 21 of its members were killed in the clash.
Powerful also said 47 IPOB members were also arrested.
“The Nigerian government and her security agencies have once again exhibited another crude round of killing and massacre against the peaceful and unarmed IPOB family members in Enugu State today 23rd of August, 2020″
“We are surprised how Nigerian security agencies in their respective formations like army, police and DSS will be slaughtering our people without any provocation.
“This rampant killing of innocent members of IPOB will be reciprocated in due cause. IPOB members have been slaughtered and arrested in their numbers across different locations in Enugu State today Sunday 23rd August 2020”
“We MUST warn and put the whole world on notice that Nigerian Government and her security operatives should stop killing our people because we are peaceful organisation with the mandate of restoring Biafra sovereignty within shortest period,”
Powerful narrated his group’s version of how the violence started.
According to him, IPOB members were holding a peaceful meeting when armed SSS operatives stormed the area shooting sporadically.
“Today, the Nigerian security personnel stormed IPOB meeting ground in Enugu and started shooting sporadically which consumed lives of 21 members and 47 arrested for just no cause or provocation,” Mr Powerful said.
“The security in the whole world must understand that keeping quiet and following the rule of law should not be construed as weakness on the part of IPOB.”
He said the group is a peaceful organisation and will remain peaceful despite the provocations.
“IPOB is a well rooted movement committed fully on the pursuit for Biafra freedom and independence from Nigeria. We are not a violent group and there is nothing they can do to change our resolve to maintain peace and order in our land.
“The efforts of the Nigeria government and her partners in crime in trying to push IPOB to change their tactics will amount to vanity”.
“We are warning and asking Nigeria government and her security operatives to stop this atrocity immediately. Why have they refused to confront Fulani terrorists herdsmen, Boko Haram terrorists, Ansaru group, Fulani bandits, ISIS and other groups ravaging the country and busy killing innocent and unarmed citizens of IPOB?”
Powerful said, “those responsible for this barbaric killing in Enugu today must pay for their actions against IPOB at the appropriate time.”
“It is laughable for DSS to be claiming that they lost five personnel in the hands of unarmed and peaceful people. It is clear to all that IPOB doesn’t indulge or carry arm or involve with any object. IPOB is a peaceful movement and we must remain so till Biafra is totally achieved”, he added.


Leave a Reply