The Joint Health Sector Unions (JOHESU) says it is “considering” suspending the ongoing strike by health workers which has crippled services at public hospitals across Nigeria.
In Wednesday’s ruling, the court mandated its mediation centre to take over the negotiation and reconciliation processes within the next 24 hours in the interest of the public.
Vanguard newspaper had reported that the decision followed the intervention of the National Industrial Court (NIC), which offered to take over the mediation process between the striking workers and government.
National Vice Chairman of JOHESU, Ogbonna Chimela, while confirming the development to an online publication, TP on Wednesday, however, said the union was still ‘consulting’ and ‘considering’ when and how to suspend the strike.
“Yes, we are in the court in Abuja and the judge made some pronouncements but we are still consulting and considering the next move and when to suspend. You will get the final details soon,” he said.
Meanwhile, the leadership of JOHESU in Lagos on Wednesday suspended the industrial action in the state.
Olatunji Tajudeen, the Lagos State JOHESU chairman who also confirmed the Industrial Court ruling, said government hospitals in the state had been directed to suspend the strike.
“The strike is today (Wednesday) suspended in Lagos State. This was approved by our national body and it will take effect immediately,” he said.
JOHESU, a body of all other health workers except doctors, called the strike 43 days ago.

