2023: Jonathan makes U-Turn, ‘accepts’ APC presidential forms as PDP abandons zoning

Barely 48 hours after dissociating himself from moves by some groups to draft him into the 2023 presidential race, former President Goodluck Jonathan has finally made up his mind to vie for the top post, according to NAN report.

On May 9, Jonathan had rejected presidential expression of interest and nomination forms bought for him by people, described as nomadic Fulani pastoralists and Almajiri communities.

He was quoted as saying that it was an insult for people to buy the form for him without his consent but the former president has now made U-turn on the issue.

A dependable source in Jonathan’s camp, who pleaded anonymity, told NAN that the former president had indeed, joined the APC formally, having registered at his Otuoke Ward in Bayelsa.

The source disclosed that Jonathan was expected to submit his APC expression of interest and nomination forms bought for him earlier in the week, on Thursday.

According to the source, the former president has secured the support of the required number of APC delegates from across the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.

“Several bigwigs of the party have also been calling Jonathan to pledge their loyalty and support to the former president,’’ the source revealed.

The source told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) political correspondent late on Wednesday that some influential African leaders had called Jonathan earlier on Monday to advise him “to contest the election in the interest of Nigeria.

See also  Cardoso tasks Central Banks, DFIs on Africa’s growth

“At least three top African leaders called the former president on the matter. They all urged him to run. One of them specifically told him that it didn’t make sense travelling all over Africa settling disputes only to shy away from leadership responsibility in his home country.”

“Another reminded him of the implication of failing to put the experiences he garnered as a former Nigerian president and as a continental statesman to good use,” the source added but did not mention the names of the African leaders.

The source cited some of the African leaders as telling Jonathan that Nigeria was passing through challenging times and “needed a unifier like Jonathan at this time’’.

Jonathan, who lost power to incumbent President Muhammadu Buhari, was born in 1957 in the Ogbia district in Bayelsa State.

He was previously of the PDP party on whose platform he ruled Nigeria until he lost the presidential election to Buhari in 2015.

Meanwhile, after so much tension and horse trading, the main opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has thrown open its ticket for the 2023 Presidential elections.

See also  Tinubu rushes to sign disputed electoral bill into law

Rising from its 96th National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting in Abuja on Wednesday night, the party said after a very extensive deliberation, the committee aligned with the recommendation of the National Zoning Committee that the Presidential Election should now be left open.

NEC added that the party should also work towards consensus candidate where possible.

NEC noted the recommendation of the Zoning Committee that in the interest of justice and fair play, the Party should take decision on Zoning timeously so as to prevent complications to the process.

Speaking before the NEC meeting went into the close door session, Dr. Iyorchia Ayu, National Chairman of the party, said the National Working Committee had been working round the clock to reposition the party.

He said: “We are also working towards the National convention, and we will brief you later. We want to thank those that have worked with us in the election process, those in the various committees.

“The mood of the party is changing, and everyone is ready to work hard and with this spirit, nothing will stop us from taking over power from the All Progressives Congress (APC) in 2023.

With NAN report

Leave a Reply