UPDATED: Ganduje moves against Emir Sanusi, breaks Kano Emirate into five

Kano state governor, Abdullahi Ganduje, on Wednesday assented to the bill passed by the Kano house of assembly earlier in the day breaking up the Kano emirates into five emirates.

The five new emirates are, Kano, Rano, Gaya, Karaye and Bichi.

The domain of Muhammadu Sanusi, emir of Kano, has also been reduced in the new arrangement.

Explaining the rationale for the break up of the emirate, Ganduje said the move was to bring traditional institution will now go closer to the people.

The governor assured that all the necessary requirements needed for the immediate take-off of the new councils were already in place.

Ganduje said, “We are about to make history today, and in the Holy Month of Ramadan.”

See also  US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's tariffs

“King makers will be known very soon. So also all other process and procedures will be completed for appointing respective emirs, issuing them with appointment letters up to the Coronation stage.”

He thanked the state assembly for the “historic work” done, saying Kano would now have sustained development in all aspects.

“In the areas of education, health, environment traditional institution is indeed partner in progress,” he said.

“With this development therefore, all hands will be on deck to take Kano to the next level.”

Ganduje reportedly moved against Sanusi because he was believed to have opposed the governors re-election, who eventually was re-elected after a hotly contested supplementary poll.

Leave a Reply