Senator Ayo Arise who was kidnapped on Sunday by gunmen along Okene- Abuja highway has been freed by his abductors.
The details of his release is still sketchy but sources close to the former lawmaker said Arise himself told some people in the state that he had been freed, the Punch reports.
Details of how he was released were still sketchy as of press time. It could also not be ascertained where he was released and if any ransom was paid.
The kidnappers initially demanded N80m ransom for his release but by Thursday reduced their ransom to N50m.
The President of Oye Progressives Union which is the umbrella association of the indigenes of Oye, Mr. Akin Omole, confirmed the release of the All Progressives Congress chieftain.
“Yes, I’ve heard from him and he told us that he has regained his freedom. We are immensely grateful to God Almighty and to everyone who acted one way or the other for his release,” he said in a telephone chat with newsmen.
Omole added, “Oye Ekiti is highly grateful and we are saying thank you. OPU on behalf of the Oye Ekiti community is grateful to everyone who contributed in several ways towards ensuring that our illustrious son is freed without being harmed.”

