Kwara govt declares partial lockdown as NCDC confirms 999 new COVID-9 cases

Chidi Samuel| In a bid to curb the spread of the second wave of the coronavirus pandemic, the Kwara State government on Wednesday imposed a partial lockdown in the state from 12 midnight to 4.30 a.m. with effect from Thursday, December 24, 2020, till further notice.

The State Commissioner for Health, Raji Rasak who made the disclosure while addressing journalists in Ilorin, on the new guidelines on COVID-19 in the state, said the measures are subject to reviews as situations dictate.

“There shall be partial state-wide lockdown between 12:00 a.m and 4:30 a.m. until further notice,” Rasak, who is also the Vice-Chairman of the Technical Committee on COVID-19 said.

The guidelines further states, ”concerts/carnivals/Clubbing are not allowed until further notice while worship centres are not to allow congregations exceeding 50% of the maximum capacity of the venue.”

See also  SSS to arraign El-Rufai on Wednesday for cybercrime, national security breach

Other measures and restrictions announced by the Commissioner include appropriate and mandatory use of face mask.

“Other gatherings (formal and informal) exceeding 50 people are disallowed

“Again, the proper use of face mask in public space is mandatory. Therefore, the protocol of ‘No face mask, no entry’ must apply at all public places.

“Civil servants are to work from their homes. The only exemptions are essential workers, especially in the health sector. Virtual meetings are encouraged

“Transporters are to enforce all COVID-19 protocols, including proper use of face mask by drivers and passengers. Appropriate sanctions will apply to defaulters,” the governor added.

Other measures and restrictions announced by the Commissioner include “Appropriate use of face mask in public places is mandatory

See also  PENGASSAN faults executive order on oil revenue, says Tinubu ill-advised

According to the commissioner, security agencies will deploy all lawful means to enforce these protocol, and defaulters are deemed to constitute dangers to public health.

-Nigeria confirms 999 new coronavirus cases

Meanwhile, Nigeria on Tuesday confirmed 999 new cases of #COVID19 bringing the countries toll to 79, 789.

According to the Nigeria Centre For Disease Control, the new cases were recorded in 18 states and the FCT.

The recorded 416 new cases, followed by Lagos-324, Kaduna-68, Plateau-42, Kwara-32, and kano-24.

Other states with new infections include, Gombe-14, Sokoto-12, Yobe-12, Akwa Ibom-11, Bayelsa-10, Rivers-7, Bauchi-7, Ogun-6, Oyo-5, Edo-4, Taraba-4, and Jigawa-1.

The health further noted that so far, 68,879 persons have recovered from the disease with 1,231 deaths recorded.

 

Leave a Reply