Lagos State bans religious gathering of over 50 people

Ebun Francs| The Lagos State Government on Wednesday banned all religious gathering of over 50 people within the state.

The decision followed a meeting of the state government with religious bodies in the state, as a result of the increasing number of coronavirus cases in the country.

Reading a communique after the meeting held at the Bagauda Kaltho Press Centre, in Alausa, Ikeja, Lagos, the Commissioner for Home Affairs, Prince Anofiu Elegushi said the groups agreed that all large religious gathering of over 50 people should be suspended immediately.

According to Elegushi, the suspension is expected to last for four weeks, with a necessary review carried out if need be.

Elegushi added that a 15 member committee, comprising christians and muslim members had been set up to monitor the enforcement of the suspension to ensure that both Muslims and Christians in the state abide by the decision.

See also  Owo Church Attack: Court admits confessional statements, forensic report as DSS closes case

Responding, the chief Imam of Lagos state, Sheikh Oluwatoyin Abou-Nolla, said the action of the state government was commendable, urging all Muslim leaders to abide by the decision and to also make personal hygiene a priority.

The CAN Chairman, Apostle Alexander Bamgbola on the other hand, said the nation was at a critical point, stressing that since the outbreak of the coronavirus, Christians had been praying.

“We are at a critical moment in Nigeria, since we heard this, we have been praying. We have listened carefully to one another, particularly the government. The responsibility of every government is to protect the lives of the people.”

“We must be proactive and take preventive measures. It is no longer the issue of religion but survival. We are going to accelerate the education of our people. We must listen to the instruction of the government and take the instruction seriously. We agree with the action of the government”.

Leave a Reply