The just released suspended acting chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu on Thursday described the allegations levelled against him as “nonsense”.
The former EFCC boss who spoke with The Nation hours after he was released from police custody, said he was shocked when he read the allegations designed to tarnish his image.
Magu told the publication, “They are nonsense. They are mere trump up allegations to tarnish my image and that of the EFCC. I did not steal or divert or convert funds to private use. I read the allegations and I was shocked.”
“What I have gone through is a case of dog eats dog but I see it as one of those risks of the job… we must not give up in any way.”
Magu, who vowed to fight corruption till the end, thanked those who stood by him when he was in detention.
He asked Nigerians not to give up on the fight against corruption, saying: “Corruption kills a nation faster than any other thing.”
“I thank Nigerians for their support, they should not be discouraged. I am happy to be back, I believe the war against corruption is winnable,” he said.
“Whether I am EFCC Chairman or not, the anti-corruption war must continue.”
I’ve not faced the panel for days or seen a copy of allegations against me…
Earlier on Wednesday, just before his release, the embattled suspended chairman of the anti-graft agency, Ibrahim Magu, complained he has not appeared before by the Presidential Committee on Audit of Recovered Assets (PCARA) for days, contrary to media reports.
He also expressed concern that he was yet to officially receive a copy of the allegations against him, and requested the panel to ask the inspector-general of police to release him from custody to enable him to prepare properly for his defence.
Magu voiced his concern through his lawyer, Wahab Shittu, in a letter written and submitted to the panel on Wednesday.
According to Shittu, his client has not been brought before the panel between Thursday and Tuesday, and has instead arrived at the venue on the listed days only to wait from 9am to 9pm before being taken back into custody.
He said the clarification became necessary after it was reported that Magu was grilled by the panel on Monday.
The letter read, “The allegation that our client was grilled by the Panel on Monday, 13th July, 2020, as reported above is complete falsehood.”
“The correct position was that our client and his Counsel (Mr. Wahab Shittu) arrived the venue of the ongoing Investigations on Monday 13th July, 2020 by 9am. Our client and his Counsel were kept at the waiting room of the venue of the sittings unattended to from 9am to 9pm when our client was taken back to custody.
“This followed the same pattern on Thursday and Friday last week when our client waited for 12 hours without being called upon by the Panel to partake in the proceedings. Witnesses called by the Panel were interrogated by the Panel without the participation of our client or his Counsel in the proceedings. This was also the pattern on Tuesday, 14th July, 2020. Our client chose to wait patiently on the panel.”
Magu also requested to be released so that he could attend to his health.
“Our client is spending the 9th day in custody without being given copy of the allegations against him to enable him formally respond to same. Our client is ready to formally respond to allegations and furnish documentary evidence in support if served with the copy of the allegations,” he said.
“Our client respectfully demands the following: A copy of the report of the Presidential Audit Committee; a copy of the memo of HAGF to the President on our client; individual Petitions submitted to the Panel against our client.
“Our client observes that rather being afforded copies of the allegations against him, some of these allegations are flying round on social media platforms with prejudicial consequences.
“Our client requests that these allegations be formally served on him to enable him respond to same immediately.
“Our client observes that the Panel has issued official statement to the effect that it did not authorise the detention of our client. We request the Panel to recommend to the Inspector General of Police in whose custody our client is to release him from custody to enable him adequately prepare his defence and attend to his failing health. We plead with the authorities to release our client from custody.”
Magu was invited by the panel headed by Ayo Salami, a retired President of the Appeal Court in the Presidential Villa in Abuja on July 6.
He was later moved to Area 10 Force Criminal Investigation Department (FCID) of the police in Abuja where he has since been detained.
On June 11, President Muhammadu Buhari affirmed the suspension of Magu effective immediately.
Magu has since denied the allegations through his lawyers.


Leave a Reply