Maina’s son Faisal flees to US, surety forfeits property

By our reporter| The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission ( EFCC) on Thursday informed a Federal High Court in Abuja that Faisal Maina, son of the former chairman of the defunct Pension Reformed Task Team, Abdulrasheed Maina has fled to the United States Of America (USA).

Faisal, who is standing trial on charges of money laundering, had jumped bail refusing to attend trial since November 24, 2020.

At the resumed trial on Thursday, the lawyer to the anti-graft agency, Mohammed Abubakar told the trial judge, Justice Okon Abang, that from the information at the disposal of the commission, Faisal Maina sneaked to the USA through the Republic of Niger despite his Nigerian and American passports still with the registry of the court.

See also  Owo Church Attack: Court admits confessional statements, forensic report as DSS closes case

He said, “We have a bench warrant of the court for the arrest of the defendant and his apprehension before the court.

“We have been making serious efforts to execute the bench warrant but it has met challenges. The defendant has absconded to the USA.”

In his response, counsel to Faisal, Anayo Adibe disputed the claim of the prosecution, insisting that his client was arrested by the Nigeria Police Force in Sokoto.

He, therefore, urged the court to open an inquiry as to the true whereabouts of his client.

“The defendant personally called me the day he was taken into custody in Sokoto. Since then, every effort made to reach the defendant has been abortive. His phones are switched off.

See also  Owo Church Attack: DSS witness narrates how forensic analysis implicated suspected attackers

Adibe said, “We are afraid for his life. We urge the court to cause an inquiry into the whereabouts of the defendant.”

Justice Okon Abang, had earlier ordered Faisal’s surety, a member of the House of Representatives, Sani Dan-Galadima representing Kaura-Namoda Federal Constituency of Zamfara State, to forfeit a N60million property used as a bail bond.

The judge subsequently adjourned the trial to March 31, 2021.

Leave a Reply