Miyetti Allah says they are not aware of Gov Akeredolu’s order to vacate forests

Ebun Francis| The Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria, the umbrella group representing herdsmen in the country, on Monday said they are not aware of Governor Rotimi Akeredolu’s order that herdsmen should vacate the forest reserves in Ondo State.

The Ondo state governor had earlier on Monday in a statement, asked herdsmen to vacate all forest reserves in the state within seven days due to the high rate of kidnapping.

“Today, we have taken major steps at addressing the root cause of kidnapping, in particular, and other nefarious activities detailed and documented in security reports, the press, and debriefings from victims of kidnap cases in Ondo State.

“As the Chief Law and Security Officer of the State, it is my constitutional obligation to do everything lawful to protect the lives and property of all residents of the State. In light of the foregoing, the following orders are hereby issued: All Forest Reserves in the state are to be vacated by herdsmen within the next seven days with effect from today, Monday, January 18, 2021, Akeredolu said in the statement.”

See also  Police confirm Lakurawa bandits killed 33 in Kebbi attack

But responding to the governor’s order, the Secretary-General, MACBAN, Usman Baba-Ngelzerma, said they are not aware of the development since it was not discussed at the meeting they held with the governor, noting they would wait for an official communication before any action is taken.

According to him, all that was discussed at the meeting was putting a stop to night grazing and the activities of child herders.

Baba-Ngelzerma further noted that if such an order was, however, made, the government would have to provide an alternative for the herders.

Leave a Reply