Niger governor orders immediate closure of boarding schools over Kagara abduction

By our reporter| The Niger State Governor, Abubakar Sani Bello, on Wednesday ordered the immediate closure of all boarding schools in the bandit ravaged areas of the state.

Governor Bello who gave the directive while meeting with heads of security agencies in the state at the Government House following the Kagara school abduction earlier in the day, said the action is necessary to save the life of the students as the areas have already been taken over by bandits.

Armed men attacked the Government Science College Kagara in Rafi Local Government Area of Niger State at about 2:00 am on Wednesday shooting sporadically, with one student feared killed and several others abducted.

See also  NCC seeks stakeholders’ inputs on national telecoms policy review 

Some teachers and their family members residing within the college staff quarters were also said to have been abducted by the gunmen.

A government source who pleaded anonymity told newsmen that the operations started from the staff quarters and ended in the students’ hostels.

According to him, the gunmen who wore military uniforms gathered some staff and students at a place for hours before moving them out of the school premises to an unknown destination.

A staff by the name Batagi who was among those kidnapped escaped and is in the school but others still with the bandits are Mall. Lawal, Ali, Hannatu, and her husband, Dodo, Mohammed Abubakar(Akawu), among others.

President Muhammadu Buhari has directed security agencies to ensure safe return of the students while the Senate earlier on Wednesday asked the President to declare a state of emergency over the security situation in the country.

See also  Dangote call for protection of local investors, says naira to hit 1,000 to $1 this year

 

Leave a Reply