Ebun Francis || The Nigeria Army on Tuesday claimed it has killed two high profile commanders of the Boko Haram insurgent group and deputies to the sect leader, Abubakar Shekau.
In a statement, army spokesman Sani Usman said the commanders – Afdu Kawuri and Abubakar Benishek – were killed in a successful military operation at Alafa in Borno.
Usman said, “This is in addition to Ba’Abba Ibrahim and two other Boko Haram commanders that died after sustaining injuries during their last ambush at Magumeri local government area of Borno.”
According to him, five other key leaders of the group and close associates of Shekau were neutralised in a joint bombardment with the air force last month.
He described Shekau’s latest video, where he taunted the army, as an act of desperation and lies by “remnants of the insurgents to instil unnecessary fear in law abiding citizens”.
In the recently released video, Boko Haram speaking through one its commanders recently freed by the government in exchange for some Chibok girls, denied the killing of its five key commanders and claimed it had a relaxed Sallah celebration in the Sambisa forest.
“We wish to challenge the so-called terrorist leader to produce the five key commanders earlier killed or the video of those Ameers he claimed not dead and are still with him.”
“It is also instructive to note that Shekau is scared and rattled by the 40-day ultimatum issued by the chief of army staff to Operation Lafiya Dole to fish him out,” Usman stated.
With NAN reports

