Nigeria confirms 604 new COVID-19 infections as WHO says over 10,000 health workers in Africa infected with virus

Chidi Samuel| The rising number of coronavirus infections in the country continued on Thursday with 604 new cases reported by the Nigeria Centre For Disease Control(NCDC) bringing Nigeria’s toll close to the 39,000 mark.

In a statement via its verified Twitter handle late on Thursday night, the health agency revealed that new cases were recorded in 19 states and the FCT with Lagos, the epicentre of the outbreak recording 203 cases, followed by Oyo 87, FCT 79, Edo 41, Osun 35, Ogun 24, Rivers 22 and Kaduna 22.

Other states with new infections include, Akwa Ibom-20, Plateau-18, Delta9, Ebonyi-9, Imo-8, Enugu-5, Kano-5, Cross River-5, Katsina-4, Nasarawa-3, Borno-2, Ekiti-2, and Bauchi-1

The NCDC further stated that Nigeria presently has 38,948 confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus with 16,061 discharges, and 833 deaths.

-Over 10,000 health workers in Africa infected with COVID-19

Meanwhile, the World Health Organisation (WHO) on Thursday said more than 10,000 health workers have been infected with the coronavirus across Africa.

The world health agency which made the disclosure in a statement, however, did not give a detailed breakdown of how the cases were distributed across the continent due to “limited information” from the 40 affected countries.

See also  Owo Church Attack: Court admits confessional statements, forensic report as DSS closes case

According to WHO, preliminary data shows that health workers “make up more than 5% of cases in 14 countries in sub-Saharan Africa alone, and in four of these, health workers make up more than 10% of all infections”.

“The World Health Organization (WHO) today warned of the threat posed by COVID-19 to health workers across Africa. More than 10 000 health workers in the 40 countries which have reported on such infections have been infected with COVID-19 so far, a sign of the challenges medical staff on the frontlines of the outbreak face.),” the statement read.

“This comes as COVID-19 cases in Africa appear to be gathering pace. There are now more than 750,000 cases of COVID-19, with over 15,000 deaths. Some countries are approaching a critical number of infections that can place stress on health systems. South Africa is now among the worst-hit countries in the world.”

Speaking on the infection rate among medical personnel, Matshidiso Moeti, WHO regional director for Africa, is quoted as saying the spread among health workers is taking a toll on the health systems of the affected countries.

“The growth we are seeing in COVID-19 cases in Africa is placing an ever-greater strain on health services across the continent,” Moeti said.

See also  SSS to arraign El-Rufai on Wednesday for cybercrime, national security breach

“This has very real consequences for the individuals who work in them, and there is no more sobering example of this than the rising number of health worker infections.

“One infection among health workers is one too many. Doctors, nurses and other health professionals are our mothers, brothers and sisters. They are helping to save lives endangered by COVID-19. We must make sure that they have the equipment, skills and information they need to keep themselves, their patients and colleagues safe.”

WHO listed limited access to personal protective equipment (PPE) and “weak infection prevention and control measures”, as responsible for the increased risk among health workers.

The organisation, however, highlighted its efforts to address the situation, which include training of health workers on best practices for prevention and treatment.

“WHO is also helping to fill gaps in the supply of personal protective equipment. Currently, 41 million items of personal protective equipment are ready to ship from China to cover the needs of 47 African countries. Shipments for an initial set of 23 African countries are planned to start during this weekend,” the organisation added.

Leave a Reply