Chidi Samuel| As Nigeria flirts with the possibility of a second wave of the highly contagious coronavirus pandemic, the Nigeria Centre For Disease Control on Saturday night confirmed 920 new infections, even as Lagos governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has warned that the state cannot afford a second lockdown.
According to an update by the Nigeria health agency in a Tweet via its verified Twitter handle, the new infections were recorded in 18 states and the FCT.
Lagos, the epicentre of the outbreak in Nigeria recorded 308 new cases, followed by the FCT-207, Kaduna-179, Plateau-46, Niger-43, and Adamawa-26.
Other states with new infections include, Sokoto-18, Rivers-16, Yobe-15, Enugu-13, Kano-13, Ogun-12, Delta-10, Edo-5, Osun-3, Oyo-3, Anambra-2, and Ekiti-1.
The NCD further noted that so far, 67,784 persons have recovered from the disease with 1,218 deaths recorded.
-Lagosians can’t afford fresh total lockdown, says Sanwo-Olu
Meanwhile, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos state on Saturday warned that residents cannot afford another total lockdown as the state enters the second wave of the pandemic.
Sanwo-Olu who in a statement, said a fresh lockdown would be inimical to the state’s healing economy, urged all Lagosians to observe all prescribed protocols by health authorities including the use of face masks, social distancing and regular handwashing.
“Yesterday, we issued guidelines to help us in the next phase of our battle with the virus. Lagosians have relaxed and the effects are evident with increasing cases and unfortunate deaths.
“These guidelines will affect us all but we need to be strong and we need to persevere.
“We cannot afford another total lockdown so I enjoin us to keep observing the prescribed protocols and the required lifestyle adjustments that will help us enter 2021 stronger, healthier, and safer,” the statement read.
Sanwo-Olu who is presently battling the highly contagious virus also appreciated the prayers and support of all Lagosians and Nigerians.
“I am overwhelmed by your show of love and concern about my health and wellbeing. I must admit that the gesture touched me deeply and reaffirmed our connection to one another as humans.
“I acknowledge and thank you very sincerely and pray that none of us will lose our lives to COVID-19, and in any other preventable circumstance.
“To families that have lost loved ones to the virus, I pray that God grants you the fortitude to bear the loss,” he said.


Leave a Reply