Nigeria receives £4.2m Ibori Loot

By our reporter| Nigeria has received the £4.2million seized from the associates of convicted former Governor of Delta State, James Ibori from the United Kingdom.

The Minister of Justice and the Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, who made the disclosure on Tuesday via a statement by his spokesman, Dr. Umar Jibrilu Gwandu, said, the amount has been credited into the designated Federal Government account

He said, “Federal Government of Nigeria has received GBP 4,214,017.66 of the loot associated with the family members of former Delta State Governor, James Ibori.”

“The amount has been credited into the designated Federal Government account with naira equivalent value of the amount as of 10th May 2021.”

See also  International Women’s Day 2026: Julius Berger set to uplift women

The statement further stated that Malami signed the Memorandum of Understanding for the repatriation of the Ibori loot on behalf of the Federal Government of Nigeria.

According to Malami, the development was a demonstration of the recognition of reputation Nigeria earns through records of management of recovered stolen Nigerian stolen in the execution of public-oriented projects.

The minister had last month announced that the United Kingdom would repatriate the looted fund to Nigeria any moment from now.

“Documentations with the banks in different countries often take longer than anticipated. We anticipated two weeks but we are not in control of the banks.

“There is neither complacency nor any delay as efforts are being made to ensure successful transfer of the looted funds,” he said then.

See also  Dangote call for protection of local investors, says naira to hit 1,000 to $1 this year

 

Leave a Reply