Nigeria records 315 new infections as New Zealand become first COVID-19-free nation, lifts all restrictions

Chidi Samuel| Nigeria on Monday confirmed 315 new coronavirus infections with Lagos reclaiming first spot with 128 new cases following two consecutive days of declining infection rate.

According to data released by the Nigeria Centre For Disease Control via its verified Twitter account, new cases were also recorded in FCT 34, Rivers 32, Edo 28, Oyo 22, Kaduna 20, and Gombe 13.

Other states with new infections include, Ogun 8, Plateau 5, Delta 7, Kwara 7, Kano 5, Bauchi 4 and Katsina 2.

According to the health agency, Nigeria has so far recorded 12801 coronavirus cases with 361 deaths and 4040 discharges.

The Tweet read, ”315 new cases of #COVID19;

Lagos- 128
FCT-34
Rivers- 32
Edo- 28
Oyo- 22
Kaduna- 20
Gombe- 13
Ogun- 8
Plateau- 5
Delta- 7
Kwara- 7
Kano- 5
Bauchi- 4
Katsina- 2

12801 cases of #COVID19Nigeria”.
Discharged: 4040
Deaths: 361

-New Zealand declares nation COVID-19-free, lifts all restrictions

New Zealand has lifted almost all of its coronavirus restrictions after reporting no active cases in the country for more than two weeks.

See also  Nuhu Ribadu accused of unlawfully detaining woman for months over recording alleged ‘romantic video call’ with Tinubu - Report

Under new rules, social distancing is not required and there are no limits on public gatherings, but borders remain closed to foreigners.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern told reporters she did “a little dance” when she was told the country no longer had any active virus cases.

“While we’re in a safer, stronger position, there’s still no easy path back to pre-Covid life, but the determination and focus we have had on our health response will now be vested in our economic rebuild,” Ms Ardern said.

“While the job is not done, there is no denying this is a milestone. So can I finish with a very simple, ‘Thank you, New Zealand’.”

New Zealand first went into lockdown on 25 March, setting up a new four-stage alert system and going in at level four, where most businesses were shut, schools closed and people told to stay at home.

After more than five weeks, it moved to level three in April, allowing takeaway food shops and some non-essential businesses to re-open.

See also  Alleged Sexual Assault: TikToker Mirabel in ICU, investigations ongoing - Police

As the number of community cases continued to decline, the country moved into level two in mid-May.

The move to level one comes ahead of time – the government had originally planned to make the move on 22 June, but it was brought forward after no new cases were reported for 17 days.

Under the new rules, all schools and workplaces can open. Weddings, funerals and public transport can resume without any restrictions. Social distancing is no longer required but will be encouraged.

The country’s borders remain closed to foreign travellers, and rules remain in place requiring New Zealanders arriving from abroad to go through a 14-day period of isolation or quarantine.

Ms Ardern warned that the country would “certainly see cases again”, adding that “elimination is not a point in time, it is a sustained effort”.

New Zealand has recorded 1,154 confirmed cases and 22 deaths from Covid-19 since the virus arrived in late February, but has been widely praised for its handling of the crisis.

With agency report

Leave a Reply