Nigeria records 501 new infections as 51 health workers test positive to COVID-19 in Bauchi

Chidi Samuel| Nigeria on Saturday confirmed 501 new coronavirus cases across the country.

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control while announcing the new infections via its Twitter handle said 195 of the new cases were recorded in Lagos, the epicentre of the pandemic in the country. FCT recorded 50 news cases, Kano 42, Kaduna 27, Edo 22, Imo 21, Gombe 17, Benue 12 and Enugu 12.

New cases were also confirmed in, Delta 11, Anambra 11, Ebonyi 10, Nasarawa 9, Ogun 9, Bauchi 8, Kebbi 4, Akwa Ibom, Katsina and Jigawa recorded 3 cases each while Yobe and Bornu had 2 cases each. Kwara and Ondo recorded one case each.

According to the health agency, Nigeria so far has 15682 confirmed cases of the highly contagious virus with 407 deaths and 5101 discharges.

The tweet read, 501 new cases of #COVID19

See also  Nuhu Ribadu accused of unlawfully detaining woman for months over recording alleged ‘romantic video call’ with Tinubu - Report

Lagos-195
FCT-50
Kano-42
Kaduna-27
Edo-26
Oyo-22
Imo-21
Gombe-17
Benue-12
Enugu-12
Delta-11
Anambra-11
Ebonyi-10
Nasarawa-9
Ogun-9
Bauchi-8
Kebbi-4
Akwa Ibom-3
Jigawa-3
Katsina-3
Yobe-2
Borno-2
Kwara-1
Ondo-1

15682 confirmed
5101 discharged
407 deaths

51 health workers, 17 inmates test positive for COVID-19 in Bauchi

Meanwhile, Bauchi state government on Saturday said 51 health workers and 17 inmates of the correctional facility in the state have tested positive for COVID-19.

Rilwanu Mohammed, the executive chairman, Bauchi state Primary Healthcare Development Agency (BASPHCDA), disclosed this in an interview with NAN on Saturday.

Mohammed also said one of health workers lost his life to the disease in the course of duty.

He said an isolation centre was created in the correctional facility to ensure that no inmate escapes.

“We have 51 medical personnel, who have been infected so far in the state and out of this figure, one lost his life in the line of duty,” he said.

See also  Nigeria's debt to World bank climbs to $18.7bn under Tinubu

“Also, we currently have 17 inmates who have been confirmed positive for COVID-19. We created an isolation centre in the facility because we don’t want the inmates to escape. 14 of them are currently on treatment in the isolation centre inside the facility,’’ he said.

Mohammed asked health workers in the state to be vigilant and ensure that they make use of their personal protective equipment (PPE) at all times.

He said the state government was conducting an active community search and taking samples from members of the communities for testing.

“We are engaged in massive community search, trying to take samples of members of the communities,” he said.

Leave a Reply