Nigeria: Trump threaten wipe out of Islamic jihadists killing Christians as war dept announce invasion readiness

Our reporter/ Following President Donald Trump’s threat on Saturday to send US forces into Nigeria with “guns-a-blazing” if the country’s authorities does not stem what he described as the killing of Christians by Islamists, U.S. Secretary of War Pete Hegseth has announced plans to invade Nigeria to kill off rampaging bandits and terrorists.

Hegseth made the announcement on Saturday, while responding to President Donald Trump’s order for U.S. soldiers to prepare for a potential offensive invasion of northern Nigeria.

“Yes, sir. The killing of innocent Christians in Nigeria anywhere—must end and immediately. The Department of War is preparing for action,” Hegseth said. “Either the Nigerian Government protects Christians, or we will kill the Islamic Terrorists who are committing these horrible atrocities, ” Hegseth wrote shortly after Trump post.

Trump had earlier on Saturday Posted on Truth Social media, “If the Nigerian Government continues to allow the killing of Christians, the U.S.A. will immediately stop all aid and assistance to Nigeria, and may very well go into that now disgraced country, ‘guns-a-blazing,’ to completely wipe out the Islamic Terrorists who are committing these horrible atrocities.”

See also  Owo Church Attack: DSS witness narrates how forensic analysis implicated suspected attackers

“I am hereby instructing our Department of War to prepare for possible action. If we attack, it will be fast, vicious, and sweet.”
This is coming a day after the American President declared Nigeria a “Country of Particular Concern” over killings of Christians, describing the situation as a “mass slaughter.”

“Christianity is facing an existential threat in Nigeria. Thousands of Christians are being killed. Radical Islamists are responsible for this mass slaughter,” Trump wrote.

He said the United States “cannot stand by while such atrocities are happening,” directing Congressman Riley Moore and House Appropriations Chairman Tom Cole to investigate the matter.

On Friday, President Trump declared Nigeria a ‘country of particular concern’, citing the killing of Christians by Islamic jihadists.

See also  Nuhu Ribadu accused of unlawfully detaining woman for months over recording alleged ‘romantic video call’ with Tinubu - Report

Meanwhile, President Tinubu, in a statement he personally signed on Saturday, dismissed claims that Nigeria is hostile toward Christians, insisting the country remains committed to religious freedom and tolerance.

“The characterisation of Nigeria as religiously intolerant does not reflect our national reality, nor does it recognise government efforts to safeguard freedom of religion and belief”.

“Nigeria stands firmly as a democracy governed by constitutional guarantees of religious liberty,” he said.

Tinubu explained that since 2023, his administration has maintained open engagement with both Christian and Muslim leaders while tackling security challenges affecting citizens across faiths and regions.

“Since 2023, our administration has maintained active engagement with Christian and Muslim leaders and continues to address security challenges affecting citizens across faiths.

Leave a Reply