NJC asks acting CJN, Muhammad to respond to fresh allegations within seven days

Ebun Francis|

The National Judicial Council (NJC) on Wednesday asked the acting chief justice of Nigeria,(CJN) Ibrahim Muhammad, to provide within seven days answers to a fresh petition against him.

In a statement on Wednesday, Soji Oye, spokesman of NJC, said the petition was sent to the council by the Action People’s Party (APP).

Oye said the council found the earlier petitions against Muhammad and Walter Onnoghen, suspended CJN, “worthy of further investigation.”

According to him, council has constituted a five-member panel to probe the allegations in the petitions against the duo.

The statement read, “In continuation of its emergency meeting, the National Judicial Council accepted the result of the preliminary assessment of the petitions against Hon. Mr. Justice W. S. N. Onnoghen, GCON and Hon. Mr. Justice I. T. Muhammad, CFR that the petitions were worthy of further investigation and should not be terminated under Rule 17 of the Judicial Discipline Regulations of the Council.”

See also  Police confirm Lakurawa bandits killed 33 in Kebbi attack

“Consequently, the council constituted a five-member Investigation Committee pursuant to Rule 20 (1) of the Judicial Discipline Regulations under the Chairmanship of Hon. Mr. Justice S. A. Akintan, CON, a retired Justice of the Supreme Court of Nigeria.

“A new petition against Hon. Mr. Justice I. T. Muhammad, CFR, by the Action People’s Party (APP) was referred to the Hon. Mr. Justice for his comments within an abridged 7-days.

“Council directed the investigation committee to work expeditiously, determine all the petitions and responses and report to Council for a final decision.”

Justice Muhammad was appointed acting CJN by President Muhammadu Buhari last month after the suspension of Walter Onnoghen by the President on the orders of the CCT.

Leave a Reply