NLC counters Tinubu on N1trn subsidy removal claim, says, ‘not a single kobo saved ‘

Our reporter/ The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) on Wednesday countered President Bola Tinubu over the claim that N1 trillion has been saved since his government stopped the payment of fuel subsidy.

Tinubu had in a nationwide broadcast on Monday, claimed that a total of N1 trillion had been saved since subsidy payment was stopped.

“In a little over two months, we have saved over a trillion Naira that would have been squandered on the unproductive fuel subsidy which only benefitted smugglers and fraudsters. That money will now be used more directly and more beneficially for you and your families,” he had said.

However, speaking during the ongoing nationwide protest of labour in Abuja, NLC President, Comrade Joe Ajaero, said the committee that the Federal Government set up to negotiate with the unions disclosed that not a single kobo had been saved since subsidy was removed.

See also  Owo Church Attack: DSS witness narrates how forensic analysis implicated suspected attackers

Ajaero spoke when he alongside Festus Osifo of the Trade Union Congress (TUC), led protesters to the national assembly complex on Wednesday.

“Mr President talked about N1trillion saved. The committee where we meet, they told us that no one kobo has been saved so far. Therefore, we have not agreed on what to pay anywhere,” he said.

Tinubu had dring his inaugural speech on May 29, announced the removal of fuel subsidy, leading to increase in the price of petrol from N195 to N540 per litre.

The price further increased to N617 per litre last month.

The increase in petrol prices has already led to a hike in the prices of goods and services.

See also  Nigeria's debt to World bank climbs to $18.7bn under Tinubu

 

Leave a Reply