NLC issues two-week ultimatum to FG over fuel, electricity tariffs increase

Yusuf Bello| The Nigeria Labour Congress on Wednesday issued a two-week ultimatum to the Federal Government to reverse its decision on the hikes in electricity tariff and the fuel pump price or face civil unrest nationwide.

The congress handed down the warning at its Central Working Committee meeting in Abuja on Wednesday.

In a communiqué read by the NLC President, Ayuba Wabba, the union said the ultimatum would take immediate effect, warning that it would mobilise its members nationwide for protests as from September 28.

Speaking later, the NLC President said the national executive committee members and the state chapters as well as affiliates would meet on September 22 to decide on the strike action if the government failed to revert to the old prices by then.

See also  US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's tariffs

“Today’s (Wednesday) decision on the ultimatum was taken by the Central Working Committee of the NLC. But by the expiration of the ultimatum, if the government fails to reverse the increase in electricity tariffs and fuel pump price, we would hold a meeting on September 28 and take a decision on a strike action,” he disclosed.

Government had two weeks ago increased the ex-depot price of petrol from N 138.62 to N147.67, prompting marketers to adjust their petrol prices to between N158 and N162 from N148 to N150 in August. The ex-depot price is the price at which government sells petrol to marketers.

The Trade Union Congress (TUC) had earlier in a letter addressed to the President and dated September 4, 2020, given the government a seven-day ultimatum to halt the increase in fuel and electricity tariffs.

See also  Owo Church Attack: Court admits confessional statements, forensic report as DSS closes case

The letter titled, “We cannot bear the burden any longer, issuance of seven days ultimatum,” was signed by Olaleye; and the Secretary-General, Musa Lawal.

Leave a Reply